John 21:15..Do You Love Me?

I always love, John 21:15..Do You Love Me? After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Master, you know I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” For me this is were Jesus unwraps Peter's real agenda, Peter always had a plan B, when it came to Jesus. Even when he follow Jesus and made him fisher of men, Matthew 4:19 ..Peter, till keeps the fishing business just in case this Jesus thing doesn't work out, how do we know..because Peter went back to fishing after Jesus Crucifixion, John 21:3

Jesus did not tell Peter of his faults right away, but deferred it for some time; remember when Jesus proclaimed that, Satan ask of him to be sift like wheat ..Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat...Luke 22:31. And Peter would deny him three times..Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And Peter went outside and wept bitterly, John 18:13-27. I believed Jesus knew from the start about Peter's weakness and doubts in his spirit and as time went on Jesus tried to develop the rock of his spirit as we saw when Peter tried to walk on water, Peter asked to come unto Jesus on the water. After Peter came down out of the ship and walked on the water, he became afraid of the storm and began to sink. He called out to Jesus for help, Matthew 14:22-23. 

We are just like Peter, with our plan B,we will ask the Lord to get us out of this mess 
and once Jesus delivers us from our circumstances...we say okay Lord, I'll take over from here. 


Comments

The Good News said…
"Nothing can cut through to the deep down part of our being but the Word of God. Peter was beginning to discover within himself just how much he really did love the Lord. He discovered that his eyes were so fixed on Jesus Christ that he saw no one else in heaven above or on the earth below. But he did not know it until the probing, hurting questions of the Lord were asked. The Lord's questions always reveal the true me to myself." --Oswald Chambers, from My Utmost for His Highest.-....Do you love Me? —John 21:17
The Good News said…
“‘But go, tell his disciples and Peter…’” (Mark 16:7 NIV)Peter messed up,Peter had fled with the rest of the disciples when Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane; but he followed at a distance when they were taking Jesus to the house of the high priest, where Jesus would be beaten and falsely accused. That was a mistake. If you try to follow Jesus from a distance, you’re going to get in trouble very quickly.You have to walk closely with the Lord in order to stay true to him and to his word. Jesus told Peter, he would deny him 3 times before the rooster crows.Peter was now warming himself by the fire in the courtyard of the high priest. Someone asked him if he had been with Jesus, and he denied it. So Peter denied Jesus again… and again! I was saying to myself,how many times are you going to say you don’t know him, Peter, and even call down curses on yourself in the process? -Mark 14:66-72 Like, Peter, when I'm at a distance with Jesus, I find myself changed and looking to my own strength which never works. Peter kept flip-flopping...one moment relying on Jesus completely, then slipping and going back to his own strengths...sounds familiar?
The Good News said…
The question is not “Simon, son of Jonas, do you know me?” though that would not have been an unreasonable question, since Peter had said, “I do not know the man.” He might have asked, “Simon, son of Jonas, do you know the deep mysteries of God?” He did know them, for his Lord had called him blessed for knowing what flesh and blood had not revealed to him. Our great Bishop of souls did not examine him with regard to his mental endowments, nor on his other spiritual qualifications, but only on this one, “Simon, son of Jonas, do you love me?” If so, then, “Feed my sheep.”

Popular Posts