“Lord, and what shall this man do?

The inquiry Peter made concerning the one that Jesus loved in John 21:21 “Lord, and what shall this man do? Spoke to my spirit very deeply, It was almost like Peter was jealous. Peter, probably wanted to say out loud..Jesus, you have told me my work-to feed the sheep; and my lot. What, is this guy's work, and his lot?” “Lord, must I alone be taken were I don't want to go? Must I suffer so bad, and must this man have no share of the cross?” For anyone it's hard to see our sufferings, and the troubles in which we think we stand alone.  If we were to know the suffering to come..there is no way we can stand without Christ. We can't even bare the curiosity,  of knowing the  things to come, concerning others, as well as ourselves. It seems, by Christ’s answer, there was something amiss in the question. When Christ had given him the charge of such a treasure, and the notice of such a trial, Peter should have said, “Lord, and what shall I do then to approve myself faithful to such a trust, in such a trial? Lord, increase my faith. As my day is, let my strength be.” But instead of this, we always seem more concerned for the other guy than for ourselves. 

Comments

The Good News said…
Most people don't know Peter's end of is life. In the days leading up to Peter’s death, almost all of the apostles had been martyred. Jesus actually predict Peter’s death by crucifixion when He said that “when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and take you where you do not want to go” (John 21:18-19)? Peter was in Rome and soldiers hear he was there, But Peter had left the gates of Rome and decided to turn back... captured to face his death, Peter’ stretched out by his hands, he was dressed in prison garb, he was taken where no one wanted to go (a crucifixion), and was crucified. He was said to be crucified upside down because he felt unworthy to be crucified in the way that the Lord Jesus Christ had been.
From an arrogant, cocky, man of thunder, Peter, became a humble, willing, obedient servant of the Lord even to death. He rejoiced in that day of his death, knowing that he would be reunited with his beloved Savior. This was a lifetime of 65 years – of which his last thirty-three would be devoted to proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. Peter gave up plan B...
The Good News said…

Peter, was the same man who, fifty days earlier, denied Jesus three times on the night he was arrested. The same man who realized that Jesus had predicted he would do that, and “went out and wept bitterly,” according to Luke. But do you realize that from that time until the end of the Bible, Peter’s denials are never mentioned again? When Peter refers to Jesus, he doesn’t beat himself up in public for denying Him, although he certainly could have. Pentecost, showed us that Peter had the goods.Lately I have been feeling like the denial Peter, living out the book of Job.We say Jesus, take control..but subconsciously, when things go haywire, we can't take it. I had even got to the point asking the Lord please end my life like Elijah. Elijah is bold and courageous, victoriously facing all kinds of odds with chapter 18 concluding, “the hand of the Lord was on Elijah, and he girded up his loins and outran Ahab to Jezreel.” Elijah experienced God’s supernatural strength to do the extraordinary. But in chapter 19, we find Elijah fearful, running scared, exhausted, depressed, and wanting to die.-1 Kings 19:4-14
The Good News said…
When we get a taste of beauty’s capacity to awaken desire for more beauty, it invites us to long for the beautiful in all spheres of life. It does so in contrast to the forces that disorder our desires. For instance, when we hoard and abuse people and possessions in a self-oriented fashion, the result is that we become shriveled-up, self-absorbed creatures. We do this instead of allowing the good things of this world to pull us into something bigger than ourselves.
The Good News said…
So here I am, like Peter 50 days before remembering Jesus' death and resurrection. Where do I stand in my walk with the Lord? Have I failed him? Have I disappointed myself? Am I still beating myself up for sins I committed several months ago ... several years ago ... decades ago? Isn't it time to hear the message of the last seven weeks? Isn't it time to believe that Jesus has changed me a lot because of 50 days of grace?

Popular Posts